Dec 29, 2009

The Title

Had an discussion yesterday with my friend on the title of the blog, especifically the word "Flesh", he insisted that it was a wrong usage of the language or something similar to that context, (probably he will come here and correct me if he meant something else :p).

To me it makes total sense and has a good sound to it as well, including from a language prospective...

To further investigate here are some of the definitions of the word "Flesh":
1. the soft substance of a human or other animal body, consisting of muscle and fat.
2. muscular and fatty tissue.
3. the body, esp. as distinguished from the spirit or soul: The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.
4. fatness; weight.
5. the physical or animal nature of humankind as distinguished from its moral or spiritual nature: the needs of the flesh.
6. the surface of the human body; skin: A person with tender flesh should not expose it to direct sunlight.
Source
---------------------------------
I think he probably was referring to point 6. Which I agree with him on the meaning, however I meant point 1,2 and 4. Which is all about fat and weight.

In addition, there are different ways to use the word, like in point 3 and 5.

Either way, it was a good opportunity to refresh my thoughts on the word...

3 comments:

  1. I find the word is perfectly suitable. Makes total sense tom me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think 'flesh' sounds too 'gory' or 'gothic' which doesn't fit the positive vibe this 'project' is about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rummy: Glad you agree.

    Nabhan: That is exactly the point, the agony and challenge it takes to go through this process is reflected by the meaning of the word. And the positive part of the project is the end result, yet what matters here most is the journey.

    ReplyDelete